TOP CAREER Study Abroad



Job Opportunity in Canada

■ Work visa

Students can work on-campus without a work permit. You must work on the campus of the university or college you are enrolled as a full time student. Your employer will be the institution itself or any private company located inside the campus. To work off-campus, international students must apply for a study permit that only can be done from within Canada. Students can work up to 20 hours per week.

■ Employment upon graduation

It is very hard to find a job after graduation. Everyone has a university degree so competition is very high. The country grows very slowly so there are not many job openings.
To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length.

■ Work environment

The Canadian government is very strict about how many hours you can work per week. It is usually capped at 40 hours a week. After that, it is considered overtime but be wary that some employers may be stricter than this. People are very friendly at work and treat each other like friends. Going out with coworkers after work or on weekends is a common occurrence. It is rare to see a cold attitude.

■ Outplacement rate

To stay in Canada after graduation and work there, international students must apply for a work permit. There’s a program for that, called Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. If you have studied for more than 8 months and less than 2 years, you will probably get a work permit the same length of your stay or less (for example, if you have studied for 12 months, your work permit would be no longer than 12 months). If you have studied for 2 years or more, you are legible for an up to 3 years work permit.
PhD students are eligible to apply to Federal Skilled Workers. Please check all the requirements here.

Back to Top